Everyday around 3pm I crave food. I’ve tried to fight this craving only to end up picking at 10 different things in my refrigerator or annoying J.B. as I hover over him while he makes dinner! Therefore, I know longer deny myself a snack between lunch and dinner. I do follow a few simple rules: it has to fit into my smallest serving dish, it has to contain a protein and a fruit or vegetable.
Here are the SunshineFIT 6 Healthy Snacks I always have in the kitchen:
1. Almonds and Dried Cranberries- a kick of protein with the sweetness of fruit. It’s perfect if you are craving something a little sweet.
2. Apples and Nut Butter- this is my go to. Yes, I still eat Peanut Butter even though everyone says to upgrade to Almond Butter. I just like Peanut Butter a lot.
3. Carrots and Hummus- Super easy and satisfying. If you are craving something creamy this is perfect!
4. Mozzarella String Cheese and a Handful of Berries- String Cheese is great for on the go! The berries give me an extra serving of fruit.
5. Sliced Tomato topped with a dollop of Cottage Cheese: * If you hate cottage cheese top the tomato with avocado! Cottage cheese is very new for me but I’m trying to find ways to make it work as it is LOADED with protein.
6. A Smoothie- This one doesn’t follow my little serving size bowl rule but I only make enough to fit into a pint glass. My favorite smoothie is frozen organic strawberries, one banana, pea protein powder, almond milk, and ice. Then blend until smooth.