Most americans sit all day long. You wake up and get ready to go to work, sit in your car, sit at your desk all day, (some of you even eat lunch at your desk), and then back in the car, home for dinner, and sit on the couch till you go to lay down in bed.
Being sedentary can lead to heart disease, digestive issues, and obesity. Our bodies are designed to move. Only about 30% of americans say they exercise during their leisure time. That means 70% of you are basically not moving. Yikes! Here are SunshineFIT’s 6 ways to be active all day.
1. Wear a pedometer or walking tracker. This is my number one recommendation. Many studies have concluded that taking at least 10,000 steps a day is healthy. It’s a great baseline. Pedometers are cheap. If you want to get fancy there are all kinds of new trackers on the market. My fave being the UP Band. If you have your 5 million reasons not to go to the gym and I can’t change your mind then PLEASE go get a pedometer and walk at least 10,000 steps EVERYDAY.
2. Replace your office chair with an exercise ball chair. I know I’m probably reaching a bit with this one but please consider it. It will improve your core stability and mostly I think it’s not the most comfortable thing to sit on for HOURS so therefore It will force you to get up and go ask your coworker a question instead of Instant Messaging them (I know your guilty of this, I did it too when I worked for a year and a half in corporate).
3. Go for a walk in the morning before work or at lunch. 10,000 steps is about 5 miles a day of walking. Walking about a mile take 12-18 minutes (roughly). If you wake up just 20 minutes early and walk even just one mile, you’ve already banged out 2,000 steps. Do that again at lunch and that’s 4,000 steps total. Most of you spend your hour lunch break eating at your desk, or even worse.. working through it. While I recognize that some days you have not choice, most days you probably do. They make these really cool things called blackberries and smart phones now. You can stay connected and STILL get in a 30 minute walk outside or on a treadmill.
4. Stand more. Standing automatically burns more calories than sitting. Stand up while you talk to the phone, talk to a coworker, fold your laundry, etc. Get up every 15- 30 minutes and take a quick walk around the office.
5. Park the farthest away you can and take the stairs. This is not new advice. An oldie but a goodie. Do it.
6. Plan exercise meetings or excursions and less happy hours and board room meetings. I totally understand the need for a glass of wine to let loose with your coworkers and there are times this MUST be done. However, most gyms will offer a pretty good deal on a weekly or bi-weekly corporate class. This is a great way to get to know each other, team building, and MOVE. Go for a walking meeting instead of sitting in the stuffy boardroom for an hour.
Bottom line, MOVING as much as possible all day will improve YOUR bottom 😉
In health and with grace,