Happy 2014! It’s been way too long since I’ve written a SunshineFIT blog but it’s been a fabulous and amazing few months. I’m back with more ways to empower you to be healthy, fit, and full of energy!
SunshineFit 6 ways to stay healthy till Valentine’s Day:
1. Stay hydrated. Drink water as soon as you wake up, at every meal, before, during, and after your workouts. You should aim for half your body weight in ounces. If you weigh 140 pounds, drink 70 ounces of water every day. HERE are more tips for drinking enough water.
2. Exercise for at least 30 minutes EVERY day. If you can come up with a million reasons not to, then start your day off with a workout so you have no excuses! Buddy up with a friend a few times a week to walk, run, or take a class! YouTube offers FREE videos and don’t forget to check out SunshineFIT’s YouTube Page HERE.
3. Eat Clean. Lots of veggies, fruits, whole grains, healthy fats, and lean proteins. Check out my SunshineFit Foods page for recipe ideas. Updated often!
4. Make motivating playlists. When I can’t get motivated to do my cardio workouts I pull up Spotify and make a new playlist. Then I can’t wait to listen to my tunes! Check out my SunshineFIT playlists or follow me on Spotify under “Tricia Kirkwood”.
5. Track your workouts and your meals. I love the jawbone UP band! It’s such an easy way to be sure I’m getting the exercise I need and staying within my daily calories goal. MyFitnessPal, Runtastic, and Map My Run are other great apps. Click HERE for ways to save or burn those calories.
6. Plan for your week. Every Sunday I schedule my workouts in for the next 7 days and plan my meals. I check that I have enough fruit and protein for breakfasts. I pack lunches for the days I know I can’t be home. JB and I plan our dinners and post them on the fridge. This is an easy way to make healthy choices while you have time to think rather than running in and out of the door. Check out my “Healthy on the Cheap” series posted in March 2012 for delicious and healthy ideas!
Start the year off right with this delicious Kale, Quinoa, and Raw Vegetable Salad. The quinoa and the almonds add a punch of protein to fill you up!
2 cups of kale (take out the stems)
1/2 cup of cooked quinoa
1 tablespoon on sliced almonds
2 slices of reduced fat cheddar, diced
5 cherry tomatoes sliced in half
1/2 cup of broccoli florets
1/4 cup of carrots, sliced
1/8 cup of red onion, diced
1/4 cup of jalapeno peppers (or red peppers if you don’t like it spicy!)
J.B.’s White Balsamic vinaigrette:
1 tablespoon of Dijon
1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder (we love Williams Sonoma Roasted Garlic Powder)
1 pinch of Chipotle Peppers (if you like it spicy!)
1/4 cup of White Balsamic Vinegar (use white vinegar if that is what you have)
Pinch of Salt
Pinch of Pepper
* Whisk the above ingredients and then add in about 1/3 cup of Olive Oil. Keep whisking so that it is emulsified and comes together.