A pulled muscle happens when a muscle is stretched too far and little tiny tears develop. A pulled muscle has varying degrees of severity. Depending on the degree of severity you can treat the pull with some home remedies. I am not a medical professional, any advice given to heal a pulled muscle is just advice. If you have a significant injury, call your doctor.
Home Remedies (if the muscle is not relieved in 24 hours, call your doctor):
1. Rest and Recovery- Rest the injury and avoid the activity that caused the injury for 1-5 days. Don’t do any movements that cause pain. Ease back in to your workouts.
2. Ice the muscle as soon as possible for about 15-20 minutes every hour.
3. Anti-Inflammatory Medications can be taken to reduce pain and swelling helping you to move around.
4. Gentle Stretching and Strengthening. Stretch the muscle after a hot shower or bath. It’s best to move a little bit as long as it doesn’t cause you more pain.
5. Heat Application can be applied after 2-3 days. Wait till any swelling has gone done. Apply heat for aonly 15-20 minutes every hour.
Ways to avoid a pulled muscle:
1. Warm-up Properly- always warm-up the whole body before a workout. This gets the muscles and joints ready for activity.
2. Stretch after your workout session. The major muscles to stretch are neck, shoulders, triceps, biceps, abs, low back, hamstrings, glutes, inner thighs, quadriceps, calves, and shins.
3. Know your limits. I’m the first one to say “push yourself” but I also believe in listening to your body.
In health and with grace,