How do you get motivated? What’s your goal? How do I get to the gym? How do I stay away from french fries? How do I lose 10 pounds? The “how”, the “what” is quite simple INSPIRATION. What is inspiring you to do the thing you hope to do? Why do you want to lose 10 pounds? Why can’t you eat a french fry? Why do you find it impossible to get to the gym or get motivated? If you can find the “thing” that is in your way of answering your own question, then, well, you answered your own question.
My most hated answer to the question of how do I lose the last 5 pounds is, “maybe take a look in yourself and see why you need to lose those last 5 pounds.” What? Here’s the thing, if 5 pounds are that important to you it’s probably because you pay attention to what you eat, to your workouts, you plan, you motivate, you do EVERYTHING you should be doing and for some reason that scale won’t budge. While yes, I believe we all have an internal voice that can sometimes can be an ungrateful b*tch for all the hard work you do to keep yourself strong and healthy, I do still believe that the ultimate goal, the WHOLE reason I have made a career doing what I do, is because YOU SHOULD FEEL GOOD ABOUT YOURSELF. If that means losing 5 pounds, make it happen.
If the cookies in your closet are ALL you think about, have one and then throw them away. Get out of your own head and just ask yourself what feels good. Does it feel good to eat the whole bag of candy? Probably not. So don’t. Don’t even buy the bag of candy. If you’re pulling out your wallet to pay for it ask yourself if you will feel better eating the candy or going for a walk. Now, I get it, sometimes you just have to eat the candy, I’m with you, I’ve been there. BUT maybe try the walk and if you STILL want the candy, then surrender to yourself.
I love when people tell me their stories, what made them make the move to get healthy. A book, a TV show, a friend, and of course the greatest gift of all, me. I helped them and everyday I hope that is exactly what I am doing. That old saying…”If you can change one person, you can change the world.” I really believe in it. I also believe that the power to change yourself is WITHIN yourself. I can give you the tools. I can give you science. I can tell you your body fat, and how many calories equal a pound, but I can’t get inside your head (although on Friday’s I do try to get some sore bums by the end of class so clients think of me all weekend). I can’t stop you from having the second helping of dinner, I can’t dress you and push you out the door to the gym, it’s WITHIN you. You ARE strong, you just have to believe it.
5 things you can do RIGHT now to feel better about yourself and be inspired:
1. Don’t take yourself so seriously. Life happens. Breathe in, breathe out and move on. Give time to the things in your life that deserve your time.
2. Get a sticky note and write your favorite quote on it. Don’t have one? Google “inspirational quotes” and find one that makes you stop and think. Take the piece of paper and put it somewhere you will see it everyday. Read it everyday. Make it your mantra.
3. Turn on some tunes. Music can make you happy and make you sad. It’s powerful stuff. Make a playlist of your favorite songs and play them while you cook, walk, clean, etc.
4. Do something you’ve never done before. Plan it, schedule it. Sometimes the excitement of something new or something to look forward is just as rewarding as the “thing” itself.
5. Exercise. Go take a walk for at least 20 minutes. Get outside with nature if you can. Grab a friend and chat and catch up.
In health and with grace,