“I eat all the right foods, I just eat too much.” “I’ve never done anything in moderation in my life.” “I don’t even know how much a half a cup looks like.” I hear these comments everyday from clients who are trying to lose weight. Bottom line, they have NO idea how much food they are consuming day-to-day and have no idea where to start. Portion Control and Servings are two different things. Your portions are what you actually eat, a serving size is what you SHOULD eat! The most common place that your portions are super sized is out at restaurants. At home, it’s very easy to measure what your eating, just grab some measuring cups and spoons! It only takes a few times to measure your food to understand your portions.
Here are some tips for portion control:
1. When eating eat split entrees and appetizers with a friend. Better yet, just order an entree to split!
2. At home serve food on plates right out of the pot you cooked them in and then put the food leftover right into a container and in the fridge. Chances are you won’t reach for more if you have to heat them up again. Also, don’t serve “family style” keeping the additional food off the table keeps it “outta sight, outta mind”.
3. Don’t eat food in front of the TV, or when reading, or when driving, or while doing anything else but enjoying the food you are eating.
4. MEASURE your food at home. Good old-fashioned measuring cups and spoons.
5. Have salad with all veggies instead of the other things such as nuts, cheese, etc. It greats way to fill up!
6. Click this link to a picture of portion sizes. Find one that you like and print it out to hang on your fridge to remind you!
Eat Clean, Drink Clean, Day 6 Happenings…
* In honor of today’s blog I measured out everything I ate today 🙂
Meal One– 1/2 cup kashi cereal, 1/2 cup of almond milk, 1 banana sliced, 1/2 cup of strawberries, coffee, water.
Workout 1– 55 minutes of Pilates Pro- 1 Bottle of water.
Workout 2– 45 minute walk- 1 bottle of water.
Meal Two– Salad with 1/4 cup each of quinoa, broccoli, carrots, garbanzo beans, corn/peppers mix, hot peppers, and 2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar. Water.
Meal Three– Mexican Salad- Lettuce with a combined 1 cup of sauteed corn, peppers, shallots and black beans, and cherry tomatoes. 1/2 sliced avocado. A homemade Chipotle Ranch Cilantro dressing (recipe coming soon!). 2 glasses of red wine. Water.
Meal four– 1/4 cup of quinoa, 1/4 cup of cherry tomatoes.
I stayed at 26 points for Weight Watchers and gained 5 points for my workouts!
In Health and with Grace,