When JB and I first started dating he came up with a recipe of Broccoli Pesto with Rigatoni Noodles with a fabulous bottle of red wine. Yep, the first few months he cooked his heart out, and the best part is that he still is!!
Here is his updated version of Broccoli Pesto minus the pasta, but with a pasta “stand in” which is sure to to please the low carb lovers….
JB’s Broccoli Pesto
3 cloves of garlic, finely diced
1 serrano chili, finely diced
2 tablespoons of pine nuts
1 large head of broccoli
1 cup of grated parmesan cheese
Salt and Pepper
1. Saute the pine nuts till golden brown. Set aside. Saute the garlic and chili till soft and set aside. Boil the broccoli till soft. Drain broccoli and let cool.
2. In food processor add pine nuts, garlic and chili mixture and broccoli and a handful of parmesan cheese and pulse/blend to incorporate ingredients. Squeeze half a fresh lemon into mixture. Add olive oil as you pulse the mixture looking for a consistency of the spoon standing upright in the pesto. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Pasta Stand In
2 Green Zucchini
2 Yellow Zucchini
– Chop the ends off of each and then use a vegetable peeler to peel long ribbons of zucchini
1 bunch of asparagus (thinner the better)
– chop off the bottoms, using the heads of the asparagus
2 handfuls of cherry tomatoes
half of a red onion- sliced into half moons
1. Saute the red onion moons and asparagus in some olive oil two to three minutes, softening but leaving a crunch. Remove from heat and set in a bowl.
2. Place ribbons of zucchini into saute pan for about a minute. Then add to to onion and asparagus.
3. Saute cherry tomatoes till skin just starts to crack. Then add to vegetable bowl.
4. Spoon the JB’s Broccoli Pesto on top of the vegetables and coat all ingredients.
5. Place in a bowl, sprinkle with parmesan, add salt and pepper to taste.
In Health and ENJOY!
Tricia and JB 🙂