It’s been said that workouts drop by 30% around the holidays. Are you skipping workouts to get your holiday shopping done? Are you eating more appetizers and having more cocktails and too sleepy to get out of bed for your morning run?
Holiday weight gain is usually only an average of one pound. However, that one pound can quickly turn to five if you don’t get your momentum back!
A few Holiday Helpers to keep you moving and healthy through the holidays:
1. Drink Water. Drink at least half you body weight in ounces. Staying hydrated makes you feel full, it speeds up your metabolism, and helps to get rid of waste and toxins in your system. It will also help you get over that hangover from too many candy cane cocktails!
2. Exercise. Don’t skip your workouts. If you only have time for 20 minutes then do Intervals of high heart rate and low heart rate to burn as many calories as you can.
3. Watch the carbs. The “white carbs”. Go easy on white breads, pastas, rice, cakes, cookies, chips, etc. Instead have a piece of hard candy for something sweet. Sip on peppermint tea. It satisfies cravings, improves digestion, and gives you a mug to hold so you can’t reach for those Snickerdoodle cookies!
4. Eat A LOT of Fruits and Veggies. Crowd out your diet with apples, carrots, broccoli, and other fruits and veggies. If you fill up on those you won’t have room for the high fat, high calorie treats.
5. Eat normal meals everyday, even on days of celebrations. We all do it, we “save” our calories for the party or the fabulous dinner only to get there and literally eat EVERYTHING in front of us. STOP THE MADNESS!!! Have a breakfast with whole wheat carbs, protein, and some fruit or veggies. Have a salad with protein for lunch to keep you full. Drink plenty of water. Have an afternoon apple with peanut butter or carrots with hummus. Don’t go to the holiday party starving. it will only backfire.