I love cheese. I could have it on or with every meal. I could dip it, slice it, shred it, melt it, you name it, and I will eat it. More specifically, I like good cheese. The kind of cheese you get at a speciality store after tasting 10 others only to decide the first one you tried was the best one. Unfortunately, cheese is not exactly low calorie and it sure isn’t low in fat. So, whats a girl to do? Listen ladies (and gentlemen), you can still have your cheese, and your wine too, if you just make healthier choices.
Nutritional Information about Cheese:
1. Calcium and Phosphorous which helps to strengthen bones and teeth.
2. Protein for building and repairing muscles.
3. Most hard cheeses (cheddar, swiss) have about 8-9 grams of fat per serving. One serving of cheese is about equal to 4 die put together, or one ounce.
4. Part skim Ricotta, mozzarella, and Parmesan are naturally lower in fat than most other cheeses.
5. Sharp cheddar, Gorgonzola, Parmesan, and asiago are aged cheeses and therefore have a stronger taste. You don’t need as much of these cheeses to get your fix. Sprinkle on salad, pasta, in soups.
6. Goat Cheese (my personal favorite) is lower in fat and calories than cow’s milk cheese.
How to eat cheese and not pack on the pounds:
1. Use lighter versions of cheese when possible. Fat free cheeses have added chemicals and ingredients so choose low fat or regular fat cheese and stick to your serving size of one ounce!
2. I love bread and cheese or crackers and cheese at a party. Use a plate for your cheese and don’t get back for seconds! Have crudite instead.
3. Parmesan cheese is a great salad topper. it gives you the flavor and the feel of cheese without too many calories or too much fat.
Cheese is not the enemy. Enjoy it in mindful servings. The higher quality the cheese is the less cheese you will need!