It’s been chilly here in San Francisco, Fall has officially set it. On Saturday I wanted something for dinner that warmed the belly but that wasn’t overly fattening or full of carbs. JB came up with this Asparagus Soup recipe that is healthy, low-fat, and full of flavor!!
Asparagus Soup and Parmesan Crisps
Make about 5 bowls and 6 crisps
1 russet potato, peeled and chopped
2 bunches of asparagus, bottoms removed and rough chop (put aside 1 bunch of asparagus head)
1 white onion, peeled and diced
3 cloves of garlic, diced
1/4 of red pepper, cut in thin strips
4 cups of vegetable stock
1/2 cups of shredded Parmesan
1-2 tablespoons of Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper
Chili Powder Optional
1. Saute white onion in olive oil in a soup pot till soft. Add diced garlic and saute about a minute till soft and light golden.
2. Pour stock into soup pot. Add the potatoes. Bring to boil. Then reduce to simmer.
3. Add asparagus. Continue to simmer until potatoes and asparagus are soft.
4. Take off heat and then use Immersion Blender or Regular Blender to combine ingredients to a smooth texture. Add salt and pepper to taste.
5. Saute the remaining bunch of asparagus heads in olive oil, salt, and pepper and use as a topping on the soup, along with a few strips of thinly sliced red pepper.
1. Heat a saute pan to high (spray with a light coat of olive oil spray).
2. Sprinkle about 2 tablespoons of Parmesan cheese in a small circle/disk. Depending on size of pan you can do a few at a time.
3. As cheese melts sprinkle with chili powder and black pepper.
4. Once cheese has melted and edges turn golden brown take the saute pan off the heat to let the cheese cool. Once cooled use spatula to place Parmesan crisp on paper towel to cool.
5. Place the crisp as a side garnish for dipping 🙂