Southwestern Corn and Potato Soup
I made this soup last night for dinner and it turned out better than expected! Enjoy!
1 half of a white onion, diced into small pieces
160z bag of frozen corn
1 red pepper
1 large potato, diced
1 green zucchini, diced
2 tablespoons thyme
2 cloves of garlic (chopped or put through a garlic press)
4 cups of vegetarian broth
1/2 cup of shredded asiago cheese
2 tablespoons olive oil
pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)
1. In a soup pot, heat olive oil and add onions and garlic, stir and saute about 2 minutes. Add the potato and zucchini and add salt and pepper and a pinch of red pepper flakes. Add the thyme. Let mixture saute. Once the oil has been used up add a ladle or 2 of broth to keep it cooking. Repeat when needed.
2. Spray pepper with Olive Oil Spray and put on foil. Roast in oven on broil. Check frequently and turn the pepper so it roasts evenly. It should be charred/black. Once pepper is done take it out and let it cool. Then pull off any black parts and dice pepper and put aside.
3. Add the rest of the broth and the corn to the soup pot and stir. Add half off the peppers.
4. Let simmer until potatoes are soft. Then using a hand held blender, puree the soup lightly. You just want to puree it a little bit so that you still have some chunks of the veggies.
5. Add about half of the remaining red pepper. Keep the other red pepper to top the soup with.
6. Let soup simmer for 30 minutes.
To serve: Ladle the soup into bowls and top with red pepper and asiago cheese.