When was the last time you did something for yourself? Is your schedule scheduled around other people? Do you say yes when what you really mean is NO, NO, NO!!?
As Ferris Beuler once said “Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.”
Studies show that when you are constantly doing things for others you don’t give yourself a chance to renew and you start to feel that you are losing a sense of control. This causes stress, anxiety, insomnia, and even weight gain around your middle. Weight gain is a result of our normal Cortisol levels being altered. Cortisol is a hormone that is used to regulate blood pressure, blood sugar levels, and stimulates fat and carbohydrate metabolism. Cortisol levels are usually higher in the AM, and lower in the PM. Stress changes the secretion of Cortisol which may cause you to gain weight.
10 things to do for yourself today, tomorrow, and always:
1. Exercise at least 20 minutes a day.
2. Take a bath or just some time to close the bathroom door and pamper yourself with a manicure, pedicure, or face mask.
3. Get a massage.
4. Take a Yoga or Pilates class.
5. Read a book or a magazine in a quiet room. Sip some herbal tea.
6. Go to a museum be yourself and treat yourself to some lunch afterwards.
7. Take a walk in the morning and enjoy your coffee or tea in the fresh air.
8. Take a class you are interested in. Painting, a new language, photography, knitting….
9. Grab a blanket, a book, your IPOD (not your phone!) and sit in the sunshine.
10. One of my favorite things to do is go see a movie, alone. Then you don’t have to share the popcorn!