The summer sunshine brings us a variety of fresh fruits and vegetables to choose from. According to the Food Guide Pyramid we should eat 5 servings of fruits and vegetables a day. Fruits and vegetables contain vitamin and nutrients.
1. Vitamin A found in tomato, broccoli, and brussels sprouts may improve vision, promote bone health, and maintains healthy hair and skin.
2. Vitamin B found in avocados, peaches, and watermelon help the cells in your body convert carbohydrates into energy.
3. Vitamin C found in green peppers and strawberries is a powerful antioxidant that protect your cells from the effects of free radicals, which are damaging by-products of metabolism and may be a contributing cause of cancer.
4. Vitamin K is found in raspberries and cucumbers, helps to keep blood from clotting and assists in bone health.
Fruits and vegetables can be a great snack to have on hand and also should be added to every meal. Here are some ideas to get your five servings of fruits and vegetables per day:
1. Keep cleaned strawberries, raspberries, and blackberries in a bowl in your fridge for a quick snack throughout the day.
2. Steam broccoli and carrots and add fresh herbs for a quick side for your dinner.
3. Roast brussels sprouts, cherry tomatoes, red onion, and asparagus tossed in olive oil and rosemary in the oven. Serve with grilled chicken.
4. Slice tomatoes and add balsamic vinegar, chopped red onion, basil, pepper, and oregano for a a great summer salad! Add mozzarella or top with some parmesan cheese.
5. Slice avocado for an easy salad topper. One of my favorite salads is fresh greens topped with chopped red onion, dried cranberries, and an avocado dressing. To make the avocado dressing simply slice the avocado and mush it up like you would for guacamole, add some pepper and put over salad.
Summer is only 4 weeks away! This week try to get your five servings of fruit and vegetables per day. Eat your fruits and vegetables first at every meal to fill up on those before eating your carb and protein.