According to the National Osteoporosis Foundation (NOF) 55% of people age 55 and older have Osteoporosis. Although most of our bone growth is completed approximately at age 18 there are many steps you can take to fight bone loss and stay healthy.
1. It is important to get the daily recommended dosage of Vitamin D and Calcium each day. The NOF recommends that people under 50 get 1,000 milligrams (mg) of Calcium per day. People over 50 should aim for 1,200 mg. Vitamin D assists in the absorption of calcium in the body. According to NOF people under 50 need 400-800 International Units (IU) of Vitamin D everyday and people over 50 should aim for 800- 1,000 IU.
Here are some ways to get enough Calcium and Vitamin D:
- Get plenty of sunlight but be sure to wear skin protection. Go for a walk or a bike ride. Have a healthy picnic lunch on a nice day. Enjoy some time with friends an outdoor cafe.
- Eat plenty of foods that contain Calcium and Vitamin D including dairy products, enriched orange juice and cereals, tofu, and tahini.
- Ask your doctor if a supplement is right for you.
2. Weight-bearing exercise such as strength training, walking, low impact aerobics, and dancing helps to build stronger bones. Plus, it has the added benefit of making you feel better and aid in weight loss or weight maintenance! Ask your doctor what is right for you.